Friday, May 25, 2012

Super Mario Bros. 3

One of my favorites!

The game that solidified Mario's presence.

Super Mario Bros. 3 is one of those system-defining games that any self-respecting gamer knows something about or has an opinion on. When discussing the title of Best 2D Mario Game (heck, Best Series Game), SMB3 is up there with the original and Super Mario World. Personally, I've tended to lean more towards SMB3 more often than World, but I admit it fluctuates for various reasons. But since the point of these are to express my thoughts on games I own/play, I'll be able to come up with a more scientific explanation and ranking besides "cuz I like it right now."

Love these kids.
There's not much to say about the premise of this third game, because you prolly know it by now: Princess Toadstool gets captured, Mario is there to rescue. What is new in this installment are the enlisted help in the form of the Koopalings: Larry, Morton Jr., Wendy, Iggy, Roy, Lemmy and Ludwig. I personally love these kids, though it should be noted they aren't currently Bowser's children. Nintendo currently slates relative newcomer Bowser Jr. as his only legitimate kid, but the question on the mom still lingers for those who care (I do). Each Koopa was assigned an airship to travel to seven kings across the Mushroom World and take their magic scepters. Then jumping ensues.

And the platforming is quite good. While not as tight as SMB or as loose as SMB2, Super Mario Bros. 3 strikes a balance between the two the series would soon adopt: a free form of responsive control. This is also where momentum gained a major role in the Mario series, and generally the jury's out on if that was a good or bad decision for many people. On the bottom of the screen is a P-Meter that dictates when Mario or Luigi reaches full speed. This meter is specifically used for fan favorite power-ups Super Leaf and Tanooki Suit. They're the perfect power-up in many ways, and set a precedent for the Feather in World: they can help you defend yourself from close-range and let you literally reach new heights. Besides, it's adorable to see Mario and Luigi with little raccoon tails, and even better when they're in a full on Tanooki Suit.

My childhood self knows that tank level very well.
The level themes are some of my favorite staples: Airship, Big, Sky, Tank level towards Bowser's Castle -- I love these things, including the Ice level and the mandatory grass/desert/water stages. The graphics are as vibrant as SMB2 but in the more detailed and familiar setting of the Mushroom World instead of another game dream world. The music is still catchy and hummable, as would become the series norm. Presentation was at an all time high on Mario's last main NES outing.

As a kid, this game was fantastic to play on at a friend's house and in the All-Stars compilation, but I never got to own SMB3 until I bought the enhanced port on the GBA as Super Mario Advance 4 and then again when I bought the Wii version of All-Stars. As I stated before, it alternates with World as my favorite classic Mario game, no offense to the original. It was this game that, to me, Mario came into his own, with fun worlds to romp around in, some of the best variety of power ups (Tanooki Suit, son!) and different World bosses in the form of the Koopalings.


I miss these old school 2D artworks.
I still have until I get to World to decide, but as far as release order goes, Super Mario Bros. 3 is my favorite of the 8-bit Marios, hands down. Thanks to Nintendo's Virtual Console and the various ports throughout the years on various platforms, you can quite easily spend a few bucks and learn why The Wizard was worth it for many a child, even if it was a 90 minute Nintendo commercial. SMB is comfort food, SMB2 is the fun candy you try every once in a while, and SMB3 is that full course meal you were waiting years for.

Main Series
1. Super Mario Bros. 3
2. Super Mario Bros.
3. Super Mario Bros. 2

---

Nothing like one of my favorite NES games to make a week fun. Next time I rejoin everyone's favorite gruff soldier with the fine behind in one of the finest 8-bit games ever made.

Ciao!

No comments: