Friday, February 10, 2012

Excitebike

Just found out that the PS3's Backup Utility doesn't save PS1 and PS2 data and instead needs to be separately saved on USBs. Kinda bummed out, since I'd just finished replaying Final Fantasy VII and VIII and was nearing the last stretch of IX. Seems like I'm gonna hafta play through them again. I'm not as disappointed that I'm replaying them again than the fact that PS1/2 saves aren't covered in the bloomin' backup utility!

*sigh*

Anyways, on to another NES classic:


An oft-remembered classic arcade racer.

Excitebike was another launch title for the Nintendo Entertainment System and is fondly remembered as having more depth than what is initially apparent, a sentiment I found hard to believe back in '02. I remember absolutely loathing this title when I finally played it as an emulated NES game on Animal Crossing back on the Gamecube. I've since come to appreciate its hidden depth, enjoying the 3D Classics version offered free of charge back in June when the Nintendo eShop finally went online around E3. Coincidentally, the 3D Classics is the one I replayed for this review.

Gameplay consists of single and multiplayer races around an obstacle course. Selection A is the single player mode, essentially a time trial, while Selection B is the multiplayer mode against CPU opponents, which is the more fun of the two modes in my opinion. The player controls the red motorcycle with the goal of qualifying for the Excitebike championship race.

The + Pad changes lanes and pitch, resulting in varying experiences when jumping ramps or simply doing wheelies. The A button controls acceleration and B is the boost. The core game mechanic that allows for Excitebike's lasting appeal is the temperature gauge, which directly correlates to the boost the player can use. When overheated, the motorcycle crashes, resulting in a wipe out that costs precious seconds as the player gets back onto the bike to resume the race. Boosters in the form of arrows that litter the track immediately lower the temperature at the cost of higher speed and reaction time to obstacles such as barriers, mud and hills.


There is also a Design Mode that, naturally, I have only toyed with a handful of times, lacking the energy to create tracks for a game that hardly supported the feature outside of Japan. The feature is present in the 3DS Classics version, though I don't have the patience or will to create any tracks.

I enjoy Excitebike in short bursts when I feel the itch for an old arcade-style racer. Its design still holds up today, resulting in clever and attentive use of the Boost and Temperature mechanics. I definitely enjoy this series, and the first title was a decent start to some of my favorite arcade racers (hint: they involve trucks and transforming bugs).

Excite Series
1. Excitebike

Next 3D Classics game I'm pumped for? Kid Icarus, which is free as a pre-order bonus from Amazon! Can't wait for Uprising! As for the secret ending of FFXIII-2? Oh my, I'm now a firm believer we're getting a XIII-3.

Just saiyan.

No comments: