Friday, February 3, 2012

Wrecking Crew

Loving my Collector's Edition of Final Fantasy XIII-2! So much awesome in the sequel to a game I already loved (which places me squarely in the minority, but more on that on the Final Fantasy reviews) and I can't wait for things beyond the DLC its ultimate resolution!

Now, onto the review:

Classic old-school puzzles with plumber carpenter Mario.

Wrecking Crew is an action/puzzler that revolves around Mario back when he was testing out various careers. In an interesting twist, he cannot jump at all due to the weight of his hammer. The goal of the game is to destroy every object on the screen. Because Mario cannot jump around, the player must deduce the most efficient way to destroy the stage by utilizing various stepladders and the sides of the stage to warp across the screen. Death is the result of getting caught by the construction foreman Spike's machinations (destroying the stage to impede Mario's progress) or when Mario touches a fireball.

Such gameplay mechanics requrie the player to suffer a bit of trial and error before a solution is readily apparent. Luckily, stages can be quit at any time, backing up to the title screen where any of the 100 levels are selectible. There's also a level editor that was not available in the original NES version, but was included in the Virtual Console releases.

It's a decent puzzler that suffices for clumps of minutes at a time, since I can only stand the game for handful of minutes at a time. It's controls are rigid enough that my modern gaming sensibilities lead me to get frustrated easily at an ill-timed hammer strike. It's not bad, but I had never played Wrecking Crew until I recieved it as an Ambassador on my 3DS and only had Smash Bros. as a reference. Decent game with 100 levels, though I would recommend the other Mario puzzle games ahead of Wrecking Crew.

Puzzle Series
1. Wrecking Crew

Now if you excuse me, I'm off to Platinum FFXIII-2.

No comments: